January 17, 2011

David

David, age 7
Denver, Colorado (1977)

This picture was taken on a family vacation when I was 7 years old. Worst vacation of my life. We did nothing but fish during the day, and look at old pictures at night. I wanted nothing more than to hang out down at the local bait and tackle store to watch the parade of men come and go.

I don't remember a time in my life that I didn't know I was "different".

There was never a time I didn't want to be around tall, hairy men.

When my sisters would talk about how cute boys were, I was always quick to chime in and give my opinion as well.

Thankfully, my parents seemed to take it all in stride.

Looking at this picture now makes me laugh.

It's a little embarrassing remembering my habit of always licking my lips, turning my head to the side, and squinting just before every picture because I thought it made me look mysterious.

But it's a habit that paid off years later in the bars when I was learning how to cruise. I came out when I was 23 years old. My effort at being straight - marriage and child - failed miserably and I didn't see the point in lying anymore.

It wasn't a perfect coming out experience by any means, but we all survived.
I have a good relationship with my family, ex-wife, and wouldn't take anything for my son.

My partner keeps my world revolving and means the world to me.  Life is good. And there is absolutely, positively, no doubt about it - I was born this way.

David's first, famous-person same sex crushes:
Erik Estrada, Richard Hatch, & Tom Selleck
___________________________________________________
Click here - "Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay" book
Click here - "My First Gay Crush Blog"

Click to follow my blog with Bloglovin'

2 comments:

Spouse Walker said...

You had style and sophistication at a very early age. PRESENCE. LOVE IT.

antonio navarro said...

Todo un príncipe azul...