January 25, 2011

Dimitri

Dimitri, age 4
Tacoma, WA (1971)


From the earliest I can remember, I thought boys made more sense than girls. At this age, I remember running onto the lap of my favorite babysitter. He was a teen-aged boy, and he and his sisters watched us all the time. And, I kissed him.

He said, 'Dimitri, boys don’t kiss other boys.'
And I thought, 'Well, that’s dumb.'

“Ready for my close up!”
I was more even aware of my difference and my attraction to boys by 10 years old, and had my first boyfriend at 13. I remember sneaking out of the window and going to his house late at night after everyone was asleep!

He was from Mexico and spoke very little English, but we managed just fine.  :)

I always loved pretty things. I wanted to be creative in school and work with art. I would re-decorate my bedroom almost weekly, moving things around and changing the colors of the room depending on my blankets.


As I became a teenager, I was very much into the punk & new wave scene of the 80’s. I loved Boy George and Cyndi Lauper and often shaved the side of my head into diamonds and dyed the rest black. I still miss being able to play with my appearance like that!

As I look back on this picture, I thank God every day that I was raised by my mother who supported me, normalized my differences for me, and prepared me for the world that is STILL not ready for me. I came out at 12, went through my youth and puberty as a gay teen, and grew to manhood surrounded by the large gay community in Seattle.

Dimitri's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Sean Cassidy
He was my first love. I had a t-shirt with his face on it and wore it proudly through most of the 4th grade!
__________________________________________________
Culture Club: Greatest Hits Cyndi Lauper - Live...At Last  

2 comments:

Alex said...

This is my favorite picture of Dimitri. He was cute then and just got cuter with age!

Kathryn Thomas said...

I'm a bit over the word "fabulous" and so I use it sparingly, but your picture is undeniably FABULOUS.