January 21, 2011

Edly

Edly, age 10
Albuquerque, NM (1979)

This photo was taken by my friend Dave G. who was my BFF from 2nd grade through freshman year. He and I spent many hours making gross-out audio cassettes and creating video parodies of MTV hair-bands, local news, religious puppet shows, and an epic soap opera entitled The Hours Of The Day.

"Cheese & Macaroni!"
Dave and I drifted apart in high school and college, but we reconnected in the mid-90's, particularly after he came out. I guess I never had to come out to him per se - he was the butch one - LOL!

During this time, I was disturbingly skinny, annoyingly hyper, precocious, geeky, and could 'horror movie scream' with the best of 'em. I hated most contact team sports, and loved anything creative - performing, theater, writing, piano lessons, crafts, A/V, Legos, and watching TV. I played Charlie's Angels with the girls in the neighborhood. No Starsky & Hutch for me!

I remember first feeling "different" when I identified so much with the misfit toys from Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer on TV. So much so, that I dressed as the spotted elephant for Halloween in 1st grade. I knew I was gay when I saw another friend's older brother changing into his swimsuit.

Looking back, I like this picture - I look like a happy, spirited kid to me.
I dunno what the hand gesture means, but most likely 'Peace' or 'Little Bunny Foo-Foo.'

Edly's first, famous-person same-sex crushes:
Gil Gerard ("Buck Rogers In The 25th Century")
Max Gail ("Wojo" on "Barney Miller")
________________________________________________
Buck Rogers In the 25th Century: The Complete Epic Series Barney Miller: The Complete Third Season Signed Gail, Max 8x10 B&W Photo Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Making Of The Rankin/Bass Holiday Classic

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the same age, and I had the same crushes!!!

Daniel said...

I bet you still have the same beautiful smile.