January 17, 2011

Greg

Greg, age 4
San Francisco, California (1987)


I won't say that it goes without saying that my San Francisco preschool was pretty, um, laid back. But it was. I remember field trips where we would all pile into Jane's (the Grace Slick look-a-like head of the school) Ford-whatever station wagon and drive while singing folk tunes. It was like a Benetton ad on wheels.

"Hey, Mom!"
The other item of note in this flashback is that the car always had a unique skunky smell which, at 3 years old,
I couldn't quite pinpoint. That car is one of four main things I remember most about the school.

Also, it had a great garden which I meticulously tended to. It's where I discovered the joy of Cup-O-Noodles, and in the front of the school, there was a dress-up corner which I frequented.

This photo was taken by my mom in that corner, when she came to pick me up one day.

All-in-all, I think if nothing else it shows how fashion forward I am even at such a young age.

I don't think there was ever a time when I didn't know I was gay. I had a girl crush in 1st grade - but it was 1st grade so I don't count it. I loved watching WWF on Sunday mornings, but mostly for the wrestlers.

I didn't come out to my parents until I was 15 and, surprisingly, they didn't take it so hot at first.

Now, 13 years later, everything's dandy and my mom dug up this gem a few years back. I think it's absolutely hilarious and clearly a testimony to the importance of quality pre-kindergarten education.

There's no telling how I would have learned that my hair looks good
in wide-brimmed grass hats without Jane's guidance.

Greg's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Antonio Sabato Jr.
I think my first crush would have been the now-defunct International Male catalog. I was also a big fan of my Dad's surfing magazines.

No comments: