January 17, 2011

Jac

Jac, age 7
Champaign, IL (1963)


I knew I wanted to be part of the Rat Pack and was doing my best tough guy look for the camera. When I started grade school, the boys and girls lined up separately and I kept getting in the boys line.

"Oceans 11"

After my mom was called into a meeting with the school principal she told me to 'just get in the girls line' as that would just be simpler for everybody.

She never told me to be a girl though. High school brought me into contact with kids who weren't accepting of me, but I simply avoided them.

One of my first lesbian friends was murdered just for being a lesbian, and all my gay male friends from my youth have succumbed to AIDS.



I carry the memory of those I've lost with me, and wish they could have survived to see this project.

JAC's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Natalie Wood (in "Splendor In The Grass")
Also, I was devastated when Suzanne Pleshette was killed off in "The Birds."

1 comment:

Kathryn Thomas said...

I'm sorry for your sadnesses - you didn't say anything about how things are going now, but I hope they are better.