January 10, 2011

Kevin

"Big girl twirling a baton"
Kevin, age 4
Cozad, Nebraska (1964)

My name is Kevin and I'm originally from a small town in Nebraska.

At the time this photo was taken, I was joyful, giddy, fearless, and ready to perform.

I mean, who wouldn't want to dance around on stage and receive all that attention? I remember being especially excited to see the older girls with their fire batons.

The baton lessons lasted only one summer, and after that I started to get the message that:

"Boys don't twirl the baton or play with Barbie."

It was around this same time that I remember being fascinated by the older boys at the pool. Although it wasn't until I was age 20 that I embraced my sexual identity.

It took me a long time to get comfortable with this image, but now I look at it with great affection.

Sometimes I wonder who I would have become if I'd been in a more "artistic" family, or had any gay role models.

That being said, my parents did the best that they could, and Mom continues to show her love and support.

Kevin's first, famous-person same sex crushes:
Andy Williams & Adam West
____________________________________________________

Click here - "Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay" book
Click here - "My First Gay Crush Blog"


6 comments:

DJ Paul V. said...

THANK YOU KEVIN! You're FABULOUS! xo

JackieBeat said...

I love this so much! Just check out that sassy attitude and yes, the shameless unspoiled HAPPINESS!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful! Thank you so much, Kevin, for sharing this! I really love this!

Sam said...

I second what everyone has said here. I love, love, love this... and you!

Deb said...

Thank you, Kevin!

Unknown said...

I'm glad we are related =)