January 27, 2011

Kevin

Kevin, age 5
Lancaster, PA (1988)

It was a cool fall day at the Lancaster train station, I'd done ALL of my chores for 1 month, and it was time for my reward - a trip on a TRAIN to Harrisburg with my mom and my grandmothers. I had my little hat on, knee-high socks under my pants, and saddle shoes. I. Was. Ready! I remember being so excited being all dressed up for such a special treat for me. What little boy doesn't love a cute hat and saddle shoes?

I knew I was gay in elementary school, but didn't come to terms with it until college. Looking back,
I wish I would have strapped on saddle shoes and strutted down the halls of my alma mater with more pride than I did.

Being out and proud now (at age 27) is the best thing that could have happened to me.

I am now a teacher and able to be a role model for my closeted (and not-so-closeted) students in Boston.

And - to this day - I am still in search of the *perfect* saddle shoe!


Kevin's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Jonathan Taylor Thomas ("Home Improvement")
I loved his bowl-cut hair
________________________________________________
Home Improvement - The Complete Third Season Tic-Tac-Toes Men's Benny Saddle Dance Oxford,Black,11 M US The Kids Are All Right

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, I'm Brazilian, I live in Salvador, and I really enjoyed your blog. Versions for one would like to do in Portuguese, even if you allow to translate the stories you posted on his blog to our language. Could be co-authors of the blog in Portuguese you think?
Congratulations on your blog!

Anonymous said...

I simply adore your saddle shoes! I wore them constantly! I hope you find the perfect pair! I believe hush-puppy's still makes them.

Kathryn Thomas said...

Jonathan Taylor Thomas. Sigh.