January 13, 2011

Matthew

Matthew, age 5
London, England (1995)

"And people say I am camp now!"
This was taken on Christmas Day and I only ever wore it one other time. I went to the park with my family and I was wearing this outfit and some boys made fun of me.

I was so upset I never wore it again.

And this supposedly broke my mother's heart as she didn't like me feeling uncomfortable with who I was or what I wanted to do.

I had more fun playing with girls toys than I did with boys toys.

I remember I once had a swimming Cindy doll, several Disney princess dolls, and also wanted to be Ariel from "The Little Mermaid."

And I've known I am gay since I was about age 8.

I had a crushes on boys in school and also asked my parents what that meant.

Today, I think this photo is adorable.

I am very proud of my parents for being cool enough to buy it for me when I asked. I'm also very sad knowing that so many children can't get what they innocently want, because it doesn't fit the right roles.

Matthew's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Andrew Hayden Smith (actor, "Byker Grove")
__________________________________________

Click here - "Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay" book

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of the sweetest, most beautiful pictures I've seen in a long time. You look radiantly happy!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this, Matthew. This is so beautiful. I thank God for your parents. The world needs more people like them.

Cara said...

Matthew, I LOVE this picture. You are a hero for being so comfortable with who you are. And your parents are heroes as well. Tolerance is BEAUTIFUL and your family exemplifies just that!

xine said...

FYI, as a mom, it breaks my heart, too, when someone tells one of my little boys that THAT'S A GIRL COLOR! or THAT'S A GIRL SHIRT!

I'm proud of you- and everyone else who is out through the generations- and SO GRATEFUL!- for paving the way for resetting people's expectations to reality.

thatwastheact said...

xine said what I would have, but even better.
Love the outfit and from your quip, adore your parents!

Anonymous said...

I second what everyone has said here. You were and are absolutely perfect. With MEGA-fabulous parents!(This post needs a "mega-fabulous" check-box.)

Anonymous said...

I just happen to agree with everyone else above me: I love the pic; I'm so glad you're so comfortable in your own skin and that your parents were so accepting and supportive and even nurturing! You look so happy your cheeks are pink which makes me happy, too! God bless you and your parents! For what it's worth: sorry about those ignorant boys who made fun of you. Don't ever pay any attention to anyone who puts you down for being gay! I think you're awesome and I'm glad there are gay men in the world like you to join me. If i may say so, you're pretty cute and I love the outfit and colours! Thank you so much for sharing this! <3 xox

Will said...

How cool and how cute - thanks so much for sharing.

James said...

You look so happy in that picture, and you were a dang cute fairy, too! I'm sorry that the outfit was ruined by the unkindness of the boys at the park.