January 28, 2011

Mike

Mike, age 6
Orlando, FL (1987)

On my birthday here, I was told we were going to a family member's house for my birthday, and I picked out this outfit that morning, because I wanted to stand out from everyone else at the party. It was going to be a long drive from our place in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, and I napped on the way. Little did I know when I woke up, that the first thing I'd see was the Disney World road sign, and I was so surprised and excited! We spent the whole day doing Disney, and it was one of the greatest birthdays of my life. I got to see all my favorite characters that day!

"Snapshot. Take my picture. Snapshot!!!"
I didn’t know I was gay until I was 12, when I first knew there was a word to describe how I felt. I ALWAYS liked boys, but I thought all boys liked boys, so I never felt “different” and didn’t know there was anything else to feel.

I really miss that spirit I had as a kid.

I wore whatever made me feel good, and didn’t care what anyone else thought about it. Now, there is so much pressure to wear the right brands or the right styles, and that takes the fun out of life.

My message for the gay kids of today is:

Don't lose the wonderful spirit that you have. The only thing you have to hold on to as you grow, is your spirit!

Mike's first, famous-person same sex crushes:
New Kids On The Block
The entire band! I had the lunchbox, the pillow people, the posters,
the action figures - EVERYTHING!

1 comment:

Donna and Tom - the coolest middle age couple you know said...

I went to Disney for a b-day also. It was wonderful! I started working there at 16. I was surrounded by gay men and I learned a lot. I am a straight woman but I will forever be grateful for WDW in Orlando. Working there made me the pro gay rights woman that I am today!