January 17, 2011

Rich

Rich, age 10
Queens, NY (1956)

I’m in the back wearing glasses. I was 10, and the bike was a lovely color red.
I remember that my parents gave me a choice that year of either having a birthday party, or getting a bike for Christmas. I chose the bike. I’m not sure who I was posing with, maybe Butch from around the block. I don’t know why he’s holding my bike, but it did leave me free to hold him


Gertz Department Store had a kids club, which showed movies a few times a year and gave out prizes. The film was always Tarzan with Johnny Weissmuller, and I really loved watching him all but naked swinging through the trees.

I don't remember a time when I didn’t feel just a bit different, a little tentative, or a bit unsure. But I also knew I was kind of special, even if others didn’t know or recognize that.

Rich's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Johnny Weissmuller ("Tarzan")
I still have a movie still of him hanging in my bedroom

2 comments:

Tom Zachman said...

I'm pretty sure I had that exact same bike..complete with streamers on the handlebars...the best part!

Anonymous said...

Really cute post ;-) you learn somthing new about people everyday!

xoxoxo,

David Perry