August 10, 2011

Thom

Thom, age 10
Orlando, Florida (1973)

This is my sister and I shot at Disney World. I find the hat I'm wearing to be a
big revel of my true self. This is how I was born, and I am free and happy!

I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale, FL
and I recall being a mascot for my father's football team. And I remember my mom seeing me cheerleading in my football gear with all the cheerleaders.

I'm also not the only gay member of my family. A much younger relative just came out, and he praised me for being myself, and helping to make his experience hopeful and easier.

Today, I'm 48 and happy and living in New York City.

I'm surrounded by my siblings and their children, and I feel very loved.
__________________________________________________

Click here - "Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay" book
Click here - "My First Gay Crush Blog"
Click to follow this blog with Bloglovin'

4 comments:

the island guy said...

Cheerleading in the football gear haha
that was cute

Unknown said...

Nice that we have so many persons living an authentic life.

Anonymous said...

Glad you have a lot of love around you.

-driz
refreshsomething.blogspot.com

Seeing_I said...

I had one of those hats! A floppy purple number with a big pink feather I got from Disney World in the late 70s. Thanks for bringing that memory back to me!